share early. share often. share with good friends. share with mentors. share with influencers. share honestly. appreciate praise & criticism. edit. continue sharing. keep moving. it’s worth it. it’s within reach. it’s already part of you.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The beginning...



Of course I had to start my adventure with not only a little drama, but also a little extra fear for my papa... We arrived at the airport about an hour before my plan took off, perfect timing, until we realized that I had forgotten my carry on at home with ALL of my stuff in it. So we call Tommy, who is at Whole Fods, tell him to leave immediately and BOOK IT home to get my bag and then to the airport. After frantically pacing for the longest 45 minutes of my life, I get my back from Tommy, give Rodes and very quick goodbye hug, SPRINT through the airport and security, and make it to my gate right after they closed the doors...I missed my flight. Luckily, there was another flight that had room for me, I made my connection to Barcelona just in time, and made it safely to my hotel, Casa Fuster.





After a little nap, I decided to go wandering...explore a little bit. As I was walking, with absolutely no idea where I was headed, the first thing I noticed was the architecture, one of the things Barcelona is most famous for. It was as if each building, whether the Mcdonalds, an apartment building, or a hotel like mine, is so carefully planned, thought-out and designed. The intricacy of each and every structure of the city is nothing like I have ever seen before; it is absolutely mind blowing.

As I continued walking, I continued to observe. I was trying to take it all in, but there was so much to see, so much that was so foreign to me, that it was impossible to digest it all. I did, however, come upon a conclusion that will make things a little bit more interesting while I am here: the people aren't that warm. They aren't rude, but I believe the look at me, see an American tourist, and would rather keep their distance. I smiled at the people I passed on the sidewalk only to receive a turn of the head 75% of the time... I am definitely not in my Nashville bubble.

Towards the end of my walk, after getting a little bit lost for a little while, I finally found home...Starbucks.



It was so wonderful to see something familiar...everything about it was the same as it is at home. As i approached the barista, I even tried to order in Spanish and he just giggle, because at starbucks they order the coffee in English... so I once again just looked like a clueless American...

I have a great feeling about this. I miss home, and the combination of the anticipation of the unknown, and all the sad goodbyes last week nearly killed me... but I have a sense that once I get my sea legs, I am going to be at my prime. I miss you all, I love you all, but this independence and adventure is exactly what I needed for a little while.

xoxoxo

8 comments:

  1. I love this Caroline. Keep doing this blog regularly please - love the pictures ... Question, that perhaps you can answer in Skype, how do I know when you post to this blog? I want to make sure I keep up with everything you are writing. Not much happening here, except at Soldier Field (Chicago), where temperature is 6 degrees, the Pack is whipping the Bears 14 to 0, in the third quarter. ily a ton - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, I am so excited for your adventure and all you will experience! Soak in all in and enjoy everything. Thank you for this blog so we can all live through your beautiful eyes and beautiful words! Each and every person you encounter on this experience will be better for knowing you! Your an amazing person! Love you, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I am very happy that you made it safe and sound. But I must say that you did cause Daddy Rodes to worry a bit, but if that is your only hiccup, the trip will be a breeze. However, I know that you will be handle all your adventures with grace and daring! I can't wait to follow your adventures through this blog. Have fun!!! I love you tons!!! Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet sweet caroline!!!!! i just finished reading the beautiful card that you left me and i was reminded even more how very much you will be missed, but i am So proud of you and your sense of adventure!!!! i LOVED talking to you today...it was as if you were at your other nashville home - Starbucks! can't wait to talk again. i love you sweet girl! xoxoo page

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are such a blogger! ...so impressed. Skype me sweet girl, I am missing you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome, I definitely agree with Callie on your blogging abilities. Keep it up! This is going to be such a great experience for you. It's intimidating being in a foreign place, but you already seem to be dealing with it perfectly! I absolutely love that you are documenting everything on here, it will be awesome to go back and look at in the future. I'm so proud of you for doing this and I know that you will have such great experiences while there. I wish I had skype so I could be in contact more. I will be keeping up with your blogging though, I've loved reading about everything so far. Have a safe & great time while your there and I can't wait to see you when you get back. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to hear you found your home away from home! I love that you're blogging- keep posting regularly so I can live my life vicariously through you! I miss you and I hope this trip will open many doors for you and will provide you with the strength to close those that god intended. Take advantage of your time there and know that you are loved by so many people back home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you, sweet Caroline, and am so happy you are there and getting settled! Love the photos, especially 'cuz we get to see you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete