share early. share often. share with good friends. share with mentors. share with influencers. share honestly. appreciate praise & criticism. edit. continue sharing. keep moving. it’s worth it. it’s within reach. it’s already part of you.

Friday, February 4, 2011

A little bit different...

I guess the most appropriate place to begin to describe how different my life in Spain is would be my favorite difference... the dog situation. I thought that my family was as dog crazy as it got... but here its a different kind of crazy. No, these people do not have eight dogs when all the children are home, however, these people's dogs never stay at home. My Creative Writing professor told me that this was because the people in Barcelona are some of the most lonely in Europe, but I just think its because they are just as dog crazy as the Hart family is. The dogs wear rain coats, chic clothing, and prance around the streets like they own the place... and best part of all is that the most popular dog in Barcelona seems to be PUGS! This sweet little guy, is my most recent friend I made while out at the bars. As I was ordering my drink I looked over to see who exactly was sitting beside me at the bar, only to spy this sweet little guy. I have more in common with this place than I thought. Meet my friend.


Moving on, many people think that I am insane for joining a gym during my four month stay in Barcelona. In order to maintain my sanity and enjoy this adventure to the best of my ability, howwever, I know that I need to maintain my workout routine (just a moderate version). I found a sweet little gym and of all of the places I have managed to soak in the culture of Barcelona, this place has had a lot to offer. It is by no means my friendly neighborhood YMCA, but I have learned to make it work.





The grocery store, on the other hand, has proven to be a bit of a struggle. I have managed to find a few things that I can eat daily, so as not to starve to death... but things here are pretty different. Thus far, my shopping cart (they actually dont use sopping carts here, they fill up a basket and pull it behind them with a handle, making it like a wagon) has consisted of nuts, nutella, frozen brussel sprouts, turkey, pretzels, and a slightly odd version of hummus and green peppers. Though I am trying to branch out... when they placed a tapa in front of me at a restaurant that consisted of spicey miniature sausages, I about died. Therefore I am taking baby steps.




Each day I continue to live here, I both learn something new and adapt to something new. Thus far I have learned to order starbucks in spanish, to ride and understand Barcelona's metro, to protect my belongings from petty theives, to find my way around the crazy streets of Barcelona, etc... Adapting on the other hand is a little bit trickier. I am adapting to the paper thin walls, thus it sounding like I am sleeping on the street throughout the night. I am trying to not take it personally when people look the other way when I greet them with a smile. I have learned that here, time is not money... therefore when I enter a restaurant or a store, people are not catering to my needs, working for a good tip, or acknowledging the fact that the nicer they are the more I will buy... but rather they are rude; they are slow; when you ask for help, they sigh out of utter disbelief; they are not working for a tip, or trying to sell their merchandise; their time is precious to THEM, and therefore when anyone tries to interfere, it makes them very angry.

Today I was challenged to accept the Spanish Siesta, which is followed strictly in Barcelona. Being from the US, where there is always another errand to run, always another place to go, person to see, goal to reach, dollar to be made, skill to be perfected, etc... that is a very difficult challenge. But the truth is, what can it hurt. For the past twenty years I have been used to an extremely wonderful, yet fast paced life; it is all I have ever known. Nevertheless, where I am living for now, the entire city (aside from certain little cafés, restaurants, or markets) closes from 2-5 every single day, so that the people can enjoy a long lunch with friends, followed by coffee and perhaps a siesta. This, for example, is my street today at 3:00.






Not a soul to be found in the shops, and everyone on the street seems to be going home, or sitting at coffee with a friend. Pretty relaxed way of living, and no reason to complain about it... just constantly reminding myself to SLOW DOWN. Though I am constantly haunted by a nagging little fear in the back of my mind that everyone back in Nashville is forgetting about me, moving on without me, and that I am going to be lost when I get back home... today I stopped and looked around, and was absolutely overcome by the beauty of this place.


It was about 63 degrees, without a cloud in the sky... and its winter here. I have not a worry in the world, and my only responsibilities are to take care of myself, do my best in school, and soak up as much of Europe as I possibly can... I'd say life is pretty good right now.

Loving and missing you all A TON from Barcelona. Not a moment passes where you ALL aren't in my heart.

p.s. EVERYONE pray for and love sweet Tommy as he endures this crazy jaw surgery.

xoxox,



2 comments:

  1. CAROLINE! Lovin' the pug and loving these posts. I miss you like crazy, but am so happy that you're taking in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. And NO ONE could ever forget about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget about you--NEVER!!! You are constantly in my thoughts and heart! Dooley and Coco would fit right in there. Dooley wearing one of his variety of T-shirts with Coco brancing along side with one of your many bows! Your blogs continue to amaze me and make me feel right beside you. I love and miss you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete