share early. share often. share with good friends. share with mentors. share with influencers. share honestly. appreciate praise & criticism. edit. continue sharing. keep moving. it’s worth it. it’s within reach. it’s already part of you.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Be YOU...

The night life here in Barcelona is exactly what I was told it would be... unbelievable. When I say unbelievable, however, there are both negative and positive elements of the word. First, positive, is that it can be unbelievably fun. I had heard before of a "city that never sleeps," but now I am truly getting to experience what that means. Barcelona is not only awake, but also alive, and full of energy at all times.

 Though I have been out numerous times since I have been here and gotten little previews here and there, I hadn't had a true taste of the Barcelona fun until this weekend. The weekend began with Friday night's pretty intense apartment party with everyone in my program. It was in this INCREDIBLE apartment in the Gothic district right off of Las Ramblas. I know to someone who hasn't been to Barcelona, this means nothing, but it is the coolest place I have seen... ever.This photo does it little justice, but this is the view at about 1am from the apartment. The streets are little itty bitty, to the point where a car can just barely fit through them, but they seem to find a way. Each and every door on the bottom level is inhabited by any type of store-owner you can imagine. From china dolls, to cheap soccer souvenirs, to hot chocolate and churros, each and every inch is full. Above them all are apartments. The streets are full and busy always, and I'm not sure how people figure their way around in here, because to me, everything looks the same.


So after the fun at the apartment,


             we went out to an Irish bar...

This Irish Bar was extremely fun, but kind of interesting, probably because it was an Irish bar in the middle of Spain. Typical me... come about 3:00 am, when everyone else was ready to go to the discotec, I decided I was ready to go home... When all of the girls told me that wasn't an option, I tiptoe ran outside and hailed a cab, blowing kisses on the way :)

Saturday, despite the fact that I went in "early," I was so exhausted that the only activity I managed to take part in was a quick attempt at shopping with Nicki. Though we were extremely unsuccessful, and decided we were in no mood to shop, we did discover why exactly all the of the shops close on Saturdays except for in the town center: because all of Barcelona is shopping.
How could you resist this?

Saturday night the fun continued, beginning with Tapas and Cava (Barcelona champagne) to celebrate my sweet friend, Dara's birthday. After a yummy dinner, we went to the famous bar, Chupitos.
This bar is known for the fact that it has over 250 different shots that they serve, all different, all yummy, and all fun! For example, the birthday girl's first birthday shot... the "boy scout," which begins with a flame running straight across the bar, all the way to not only the shot itself, but also the birthday girl :( Thank God we made it out of there safe!!! The best part, however, was the PRECIOUS bartender, Leonardo... not only was he beautiful, but he also bought me shots and asked me to come back soon (don't worry Rodes, I'm not going to fall in love with a Spanish bartender).

After about 2.5 hours there, and lots of fun fun shots (Harry potter, bubbleyum, Lime, Black Widow, birthday cake, etc...) we made it out the door and took a cab to the discotec... my first one yet. I believe it was a success....

Not only did I have fun, but I believe the birthday girl did too... lots of dancing, doing our best to stay away from the Spanish men who are known here as "vultures," for the way they circle you while waiting for the perfect opportunity to make their move... Finally, around 4:00, I made it safe and sound to my wonderful bed... concluding the good about the unbelievable.

This word also has a different side for me though... which is where I get to the title of this blog post... "Be YOU." From the moment I decided that I was going to study abroad, I had these two nagging fears. The first, which I have mentioned many times, was that I would be forgotten while I was gone, but the second was a little more personal... that I wouldn't be liked. I'm not sure who exactly I was hoping would like me - the people in my group, my peers in Barcelona, the city of Barcelona, Spanish people in general - but for me this was a real, constant fear. Well a wise few people told me time and time again, "just be you." So where does this get to the unbelievable?

The Spanish nightlife is just one bit of my life here that is unbelievable in a scary way as well as positive. Though there is so much beauty, there is also a lot that I don't want to be a part of. Whether it be the insanity of some of the people on the streets at 4:00 am, trying to get me to join, or the angry women who refuse to give me a chance because I am a blonde american, I just keep hearing those words, "be you." Pretty cliché, I know, but working.



Be you, and they will love you. Be you, and you will be safe, healthy, and strong. Be you, and you will have a life changing experience, resulting in more growth and value than you ever imagined possible. Be you, and your Faith will grow strong. Be you, and you will fall in love with not only the city of Barcelona, and the Spanish community within it, but you will also love yourself.


"The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved... loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."
Victor Hugo

2 comments:

  1. caroline, i look forward to these blogs so much and every time they come i say, "this is the best one yet"...that holds true until the next one comes along!! i am glad you are having so much fun, feel accepted and loved...that my friend, is a beautiful thing!!!!! xoxoxo page

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can picture you smiling, blowing kisses while heading for the cab! I love that your having fun and being yourself! You are an amazing person who I am blessed to know! I thought about an earlier post yesterday as I was in the Ft Lauderdale airport waiting and waiting for my flight...I was tired and wanting to be home...walking around, I thought of you and I smiled. I didn't realize it but an elderly man was looking at me and he smiled back. I thought, why didn't those Spanish people smile back at sweet Caroline? Anyway-they aren't worth thinking about. I smile when I think of you and especially when I read how great of a time you are having. You are learning so much about yourself - that amazing, beautiful, wonderful YOU! love and miss you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete